The two-day Facilitator Workshop: Learn to Implement Mentee Training is designed for leaders of research training programs (undergraduate or graduate) who want to build and deliver a customized workshop or course for their research trainees. During this workshop, research training program leaders are introduced to the Entering Research curriculum, which has nearly 100 activities that address 7 areas of trainee development: research communication & comprehension skills; practical research skills; research ethics; researcher identity; researcher confidence & independence; equity & inclusion awareness & skills; and professional & career development skills.
Workshop participants become familiar with the curriculum, practice facilitating training components, and develop a plan to design, implement, evaluate, and assess a custom training at their institution or organization
Join our email list to be notified offuture trainings or reserve your spot for an upcoming training.
Undergraduate and graduate research training programs are important contributors to the success of research trainees across all disciplines and career stages. Facilitator training empowers program directors and facilitators to implement evidence-based training at their home institutions or organizations.
This workshop is available for training program directors, faculty, postdoctoral fellows, instructors, staff, or administrators who are committed to implementing research mentee training courses, seminars, or workshops at their institution or organization for undergraduate or graduate trainees.
- Learn about the seven areas of trainee development that serve as the framework for the second edition of Entering Research and become familiar with the curriculum.
- Develop their facilitation skills and be able to articulate the difference between facilitating and teaching.
- Learn about workshop evaluation and trainee learning assessment tools that will be available to them.
- Build their mentee training implementation curriculum by aligning the areas of trainee development, curricular materials, and evaluation and assessment tools they identified.
- Develop practical plans for implementing Entering Research training at their home institution.
- Identify challenges they may face in implementing at their home institution and strategies they could use to address them.
If you are interested in learning how to facilitate and implement Entering Research at your institution or organization, we offer public facilitator training workshops that you can register for with one or two colleagues from your institution. To join our listserv and learn about upcoming workshops, please complete this online form. These workshops are open to the public.
Training at Your Site
CIMER Master Facilitators are available to visit your institution or organization and conduct a two-day workshop for up to 32 program directors who are committed to implementing research mentee training courses, seminars, or workshops at their institution or organization.
Please complete this online form to request a workshop at your institution or organization.
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, May 24, 2021 – Entering Research Facilitator Training and Curriculum Development Institute Session 1 @ UW Madison (online)
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, May 25, 2021 – Entering Research Facilitator Training and Curriculum Development Institute Session 2 @ UW Madison (online)
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, May 26, 2021 – Entering Research Facilitator Training and Curriculum Development Institute Session 3 @ UW Madison (online)
- 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, May 27, 2021 – Entering Research Facilitator Training and Curriculum Development Institute Session 4 @ UW Madison (online)
To maximize your investment, we recommend that each participant have the opportunity to facilitate Entering Research training within one year of attending facilitator training.